Mother Interior’s Hints for a Better Box Cake
• Preheat your oven! I repeat… Preheat your oven!
• Sift the cake mix. Don’t skip this step, as sifting changes the texture of the cake.
• Eggs and all wet ingredients should be room temperature. Eggs need at least an hour
out of the refrigerator to become room temperature.
• Separate eggs and whip the whites. Then, add the yolks to the wet ingredients. After stirring the batter, fold in the whipped egg whites.
• For a chocolate cake, substitute oil with the same amount of sour cream or mayonnaise.
• For a basic yellow cake, use fruit juice instead of water.
• For a white wedding cake, substitute two egg whites for each whole egg.
• When using canned frosting… whip, whip, whip. This will change the taste and texture of the frosting and it will spread more easily.
• To enhance the frosting, add a touch of vanilla extract, liqueur or flavoring.
Keep a few boxes of cake mix and cans of frosting in the pantry. You can whip up a homemade tasting cake at a moment’s notice.